By: Kelsie Matthews, L.E
Most people refer to dermaplaning as “shaving the face”, but what really is it, and why is it beneficial for the skin? Professional dermaplaning is a lot more in depth than just taking one of your at-home razors in the shower and shaving your face. When you do that at home with a razor whether it’s one you use for your body or the “face” razors, all it does is remove the hair from the surface of the skin. The main difference between shaving and dermaplaning is that dermaplaning removes dead skin in addition to the hair.
Five reasons why dermaplaning is beneficial:
- Dermaplaning removes the entire stratum corneum. The stratum corneum is the very top layer of the epidermis where dead skin cells accumulate. When the stratum corneum is thick, it can block products and treatments from penetrating and being fully effective.
- Dermaplaning removes vellus hair from the skin. Vellus hair is the thin peach fuzz that covers the face. Although it is usually not dark hair for most people, even the light hair can be pretty noticeable when wearing makeup and in certain lighting.
- Dermaplaning preps the skin for any treatment that is done afterwards. Exfoliating the skin with something like dermaplaning allows the treatment to be more effective. Treatments like chemical peels, facials, and lasers work better when there is not dead skin built up on the surface of the area treated.
- Dermaplaning smoothes out the skin and gives a great glow. After dermaplaning treatments, makeup goes on flawlessly. It also prevents the makeup from looking “cakey” because there is no dead skin on the surface.
- Dermaplaning promotes cell turnover. When you’re young, your cells turnover around every 28 days. When you reach your 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s, your skin only produces new cells every 60-90+ days. This means you’re more prone to premature aging of the skin and it starts to dull. Doing the dermaplaning removes the top layer of dead skin so that new cells can be produced.
Next time you go in for a facial, laser treatment, or even Botox, add on dermaplaning before so you can boost the results of the service you’re investing in. Not only will you see an immediate difference in your skin, but it will keep your skin healthy and looking young in the long run.