Written by: Mary Mireles
Summer months are finally upon us, and along with the longer days comes lots of heat. This heat means that our skincare routines and services need to adjust to account for this! Here are four tips to help you get on track with your summer skincare:
- As always, we are going to start with sunscreen.
- Although it might seem to be one of the most over talked about steps, it truly is the most powerful agent in age prevention. The most important thing to pay attention to when choosing a sunscreen, is making sure that it has IR protection. Infrared rays are those heat rays you are hit with when you first get into your car on a hot summer day. By making sure your sunscreen has IR, UVA, and UVB protection you can feel confident in fully participating in your summer activities while knowing that your skin is safe.
- While laser treatments and chemical peels get put on the back burner during summer heat, it is still so important to regularly get facials done. Treatments, such as the Hydrafacial or Diamond Glow, are wonderful to keep your skin clean and your pores clear from the sweat that comes along with summer. It also provides an exfoliation that is gentle enough to receive before going out in the sun.
- Water! While we are certainly getting in more water during these months, it is vital to keep our bodies hydrated from the inside. Not only is it essential to our overall health, but being dehydrated can lead to dry, dull skin. To amplify the results that your skin receives from drinking water, you can also use a Hyaluronic Serum, such as HA5, to help your skin hold on to all the moisture it can get.
- Although it is typically recommended to hold off on lasers during the summer months, you should continue to use products that can help achieve your goals. For example, if you typically get BBL/IPL treatments to help with pigmentation, I would recommend getting on Even Tone Correcting Serum to help break down the surface pigmentation. If this is done during the summer, then the skin will be ready during the fall for your next laser treatment. With the surface pigmentation gone, the light will be able to address all the deep pigmentation instead of stopping at the surface. If you typically get lasers that address wrinkles and texture issues, the TNS line from SkinMedica is going to be the perfect product to add to your routine.
With these steps, you are sure to be able to enjoy your summer, while continuing to see the great results a proper skincare routine will take! Here’s to a great summer, and taking the time to build a great skincare routine!