Written By: Kelsie Matthews, L.E.
Now that the weather is finally starting to change here in Texas, it is also time to change up skincare routines as well. Like many people, my skin tends to suffer a little bit when the temperature drops. It gets dull, dry, flaky, red, and everything in between. The products and treatments I incorporate into my routine are very different this time of year vs. the rest of the year when it’s nearly triple digit weather.
- Dry Skin– Exfoliate, hydrate, and moisturize. Exfoliating the skin 2-3 times per week is vital to cell turnover and removing dead skin cells from the surface. Hydrating the skin not only topically, but internally as well will ensure the skin stays nice and plump and dewy. Moisturizing will protect the barrier of your skin, and keep it functioning properly.
- ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Polish (use 2-3 times per week)
- SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator (use after cleansing, toning, and applying serums morning and night)
- SkinMedica Dermal Repair Cream (apply morning and night last before SPF)
- Dull Skin- In addition to being dry, our skin can often appear dull and lifeless in the winter time. These are some of the ways I bring back some lust to my skin:
- Hydrafacial MD (every 4-6 weeks)
- Chemical Peels (~3 treatments 4-6 weeks apart)
- Dermaplaning (can be done with a facial treatment or alone every 4-6 weeks)
- Redness- For people who experience rosacea or vascular conditions in their skin, winter time is the perfect time to address this with lasers such as BBL or IPL.
Of course in addition to the products and skin care treatments, it is important to fuel your body with the necessary things to keep your skin glowing through the winter as well. Some of these things can include vitamin C, a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and veggies, collagen supplements, antioxidants, and drinking plenty of water.