Saunas have been used for centuries for relaxation and detoxification, but the introduction of infrared technology has taken the traditional sauna experience to the next level. An infrared sauna uses infrared rays to penetrate the skin and provide a host of benefits, including improved skin health. In this article, we will explore the meaning and uses of infrared sauna and delve into the top 10 skin benefits this therapy provides.
What is an Infrared Sauna?
An infrared sauna is a type of sauna that uses infrared technology to generate heat. Unlike traditional saunas that use hot rocks or steam to warm the air around you, an infrared sauna uses infrared lamps to warm your body directly. Infrared rays are a form of electromagnetic radiation that are invisible to the naked eye but can be felt as heat. These rays penetrate the skin, warming the body from the inside out.
The temperature in an infrared sauna typically ranges from 110-140°F, which is lower than the temperature in a traditional sauna. However, because the heat penetrates your body directly, you will still sweat profusely and experience the same detoxifying benefits.
Uses of an Infrared Sauna
In addition to the skin benefits we will discuss later in this article, infrared saunas are also used for a variety of other purposes, including:
- Detoxification – Sweating in an infrared sauna can help eliminate toxins from the body.
- Pain relief – Infrared therapy has been shown to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Relaxation – The heat and soothing environment of an infrared sauna can help you relax and reduce stress.
- Improved cardiovascular health – Infrared saunas have been shown to improve circulation and lower blood pressure.
- Weight loss – Sweating in an infrared sauna can help burn calories and aid in weight loss.
Now that we have discussed what an infrared sauna is and its uses, let’s dive into the top 10 skin health benefits of this therapy:
- Increased circulation. Infrared saunas help to increase circulation, which can lead to healthier, glowing skin.
- Detoxification. Sweating in an infrared sauna can help to remove toxins from the body, which can lead to clearer skin.
- Reduced inflammation. Infrared saunas can help to reduce inflammation, which is a major contributor to skin issues like acne and rosacea.
- Improved collagen production. The heat from the infrared sauna can help to stimulate collagen production, which can improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Enhanced skin elasticity. Regular use of an infrared sauna can help to improve skin elasticity, making it look firmer and more youthful.
- Reduced acne. The detoxifying effects of an infrared sauna can help to reduce acne breakouts.
- Reduced appearance of scars. Infrared saunas can help to reduce the appearance of scars by improving blood flow to the affected area.
- Increased hydration. The heat from an infrared sauna can help to increase the skin’s ability to retain moisture, which can lead to softer, smoother skin.
- Improved skin tone. The increased circulation and detoxification benefits of an infrared sauna can help to improve skin tone and reduce the appearance of uneven skin.
- Relaxation. The stress-reducing benefits of an infrared sauna can also have a positive impact on the skin, as stress is a major contributor to many skin issues.